HISTORY > THE AIRCRAFT
A bit of information about "our" CF-CPA
- Manufacturer: Lockheed Aircraft Company
- Crew/Passengers: 3 crew, 14 passengers, plus provisions
- Power Plant: two 1,200 hp Wright Cyclone R-4-1820-87 radial engines
- Performance: Maximum Speed: 266 mph (428 km/h) Cruising Speed: 200 mph (322 km/h) Service Ceiling: 30,100 ft (7,620 m) Range: 2,500 mi (4,023 km)
- Weights: Empty: 12,500 lbs ( 5,670 kg) Gross: 21,000 lbs ( 9,525 kg)
- Dimensions: Span: 65 ft 6 in (19.96 m) Length: 49 ft 10 in (15.19 m) Height 11ft 11 in (3.63 m) Wing Area: 551 sq ft ( 51.19 sq m)
- Armament: None
This interesting shot shows CF-CPA in wartime, pseudo camouflage livery, flying over some territory in which an emergency landing area may be difficult to find. This Lodestar was one of those slated to join the Dutch East Indies Air Force in Java in 1940 where it was to have been given the serial number LT-926.
However, when the Japanese overran Java, the Lodestar was diverted (seized, might be a better term) by the U.S. Government to the Army Air Corps as a C-60-LO and given the serial number 42-108787. The Army Air Corps never used the plane and released it to Canadian Pacific Air Lines in the early 1940s.